2010 Board Minutes - February
2010 Board Minutes - February
MINUTES TO THE MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
February 23, 2010
The Harbison Community Association Board of Directors held their regular meeting on Tuesday, February 23, 2010. Board Members present were Mr. Hank West, President, Mr. Danny Hood, Vice President and Secretary, Mrs. Irene Metz, Treasurer, Mr. Stan Seabrook, Mrs. June Cannon, Mr. Tom Brower and Mr. Terry Helsley. Absent from the Board meeting was Mr. Ozzie Nagler and Ms. Vickie Wilkins. Association staff members in attendance were Dr. Sid Crumpton, Mr. Victor Collins, Mr. Golden Floyd, Mr. Scott Lynch, Mr. Mickey Matney and Mrs. Megan Shealy.
A quorum being present for the meeting, Mr. West called the meeting to order at 6:05 p.m.
Approval of Minutes - Board Meeting November 24, 2009
After a brief review of the November 24, 2009 Board minutes Mr. Hood moved the minutes be approved as amended, Mrs. Metz seconded and the motion was passed with a vote of 7 for, 0 against, 2 absent (Mr. Nagler and Ms. Wilkins).
Resident 1 – Cynthia Thibault
Ms. Thibault briefly addressed the Board to discuss her recent experience with animal control and the failure to follow its own protocol for handling picked up animals. Ms. Thibault didn’t request any assistance in dealing with animal control but instead requested assistance in educating the community about stray and feral animals.
Mr. Nagler reported the following activity:
- Approve the establishment of a free standing ice vending machine that is located between Golf Headquarters and Vitamin Shoppe.
- Ashley Furniture – The Town of Irmo granted Ashley an extension until June 2010 to address their store sign due to financial hardship.
Dr. Crumpton presented to the Board a list RDRC activity for the month of February.
~ Management Reports ~
Finance Report - Mr. Collins
FY 2009 Year Ending Summary
- Mr. Collins reviewed with the Board financial information for 2009. He reported that 100% of apartment and business collections have been received. As of December 31st 93% of the Association’s assessment collection goal had been reached. Assessment income coupled with all other sources placed the Association at 94.29% of expected income for 2009.
- In reporting expenditures for 2009 Mr. Collins reported that the Association had spent 99% of the projected budget. The Association made a push during the last quarter of 2009 to complete several budgeted projects.
- Through the February 24, 2010 Association has collected:
- Apartments $33,915.34
- Business $87,311.28
- Residential $175,509
- Received $14,000 refund for Worker’s Compensation Insurance
- Current Expenditure Projects:
- Replace Carpet in Weight Room – Complete
- Relocation of Harbison Sign – Complete
- Replacement of Salt Cell for Pool - Ongoing
Recreation Center Report - Mr. Floyd
- Our tennis program continues to be successful.
- Youth- Currently 8 teams (ages 12 and under)
- Adults – Currently running a 35 years and older league
- Registering for 4 – 6 year old program to run in January
- For Palmetto Health Employees every Wednesday night
- 15 Coaches
- 4 Officials
- 1 Coach
A.S.E. (After School Experience)
Monday, Feb.15th the Columbia Hoop Troop held a fun day for the children, and the parents were invited to\participate as well. They had several hula hoop contests and relays. Each winner received a hula hoop. It was a day filled with fun and excitement. It was great to see so many parents come out and participate in the fun.
Soul line dancing and Salsa classes have begun; Soul Line classes meet on Tuesday night from 6:30-7:30, Salsa Class meets on Thursday night 6:00‑7:30PM.
Operational Update – Scott Lynch
- Dragon Construction has been attempting to lower the water level at Lake Woodcross in order to repair the spillway gate valve, however, the process has been slowed by the continuous rainfall.
- HCA also hired Dragon Construction to dig out and create a small rock dam to prevent debris from collection at the cap of a storm drain located on Archers Lane at the overfill pond. This should prevent the storm water from surging over the boardwalk.
- The addition of 5 new trash containers around Archers Lake will help with the increased trash that seems to be coming from the restaurants on Columbiana.
- HCA Maintenance crew has begun trimming hedges and working continuously blowing trails three times a week to keep up with the changing of the seasons. Once the leaves stop falling in the near weeks all entrance ways will receive fresh pine straw.
- Maintenance placed an order for 15 soliciting signs and will continue to refurbish street signs.
Consideration for Board Election Nominations
The following nominees were presented to the Board for consideration for the upcoming election of HCA Board members on April 27, 2010.
Class “A” Seats (2 seats available)
Owner of lots designated for residential use
616 Valleywood Court
June Cannon - Incumbent
208 Archers Court
Ozzie Nagler - Incumbent
1 Thimbleberry Court
Class “B” Seats (1 seat available)
Coldwell Banker United Realtors
Class “C” Seats (1 seat available)
Resident who lives in an owner occupied residence
1 Northpine Court
Class “D” Seat
Resident who is a tenant and each commercial tenant
under a lease having a term of five years or less
Mr. Seabrook made a motion to accept the presented nominees as candidates for the Board election as submitted by the Nominating Committee. Mrs. Metz seconded and the motion passed with a vote of 7 for, 0 against, 2 absent (Mr. Nagler and Ms. Wilkins).
Dr. Crumpton requested that the board convene an executive session to discuss the Lester Gross Award. Mr. Brower made a motion to enter into executive session. Mrs. Metz seconded and the motion passed with a vote of 7 for, 0 against, 2 absent (Mr. Nagler and Ms. Wilkins).
Mr. Helsley made a motion to adjourn executive session and resume the open session. Mrs. Cannon seconded and the motion passed with a vote of 7 for, 0 against, 2 absent (Mr. Nagler and Ms. Wilkins).
During open session Mrs. Cannon made a motion directing the Executive Director to retain an architect the consult with the Association to determine the feasibility of expanding program space in the Recreation center. Further, prior to retaining the architect, the Executive Director will obtain approval of the fee to be charged. Mr. Seabrook seconded and the motion passed with a vote of 7 for, 0 against, 2 absent (Mr. Nagler and Ms. Wilkins).
Mrs. Cannon made a motion to adjourn open session. Mr. Brower seconded and the motion passed with a vote of 7 for, 0 against, 2 absent (Mr. Nagler and Ms. Wilkins).
Meeting adjourned at 8:05 PM.